Monday, April 6, 2009

Endings

It was getting dark...and quiet, yet a moment ago there had been nothing but sunlight and the clamoring sounds of battle.

I turned my eyes upward, assuring myself that despite the growing darkness there was still the sacred orb of light hanging in the skies above me. Though ringed with shadows, the blessed Sun was still in the heavens, and even just the smallest glimpse of our patron's living sigil sent strength through my failing body.

My eyes turned towards the radiance of the Sunwell, the powerful gift of life to the Quel'dorei still glittered brightly just a few feet away from where I had fallen. If only I could get to it's blessed waters before the damned Prince could complete his rituals, before the water became tainted by his master's power, perhaps then I could rise up and stop them.

Despite the surge of strength from the Sun's light, I could barely raise up onto my elbows, a breathtaking gash of pain suddenly cutting across my abdomen before I even began to drag myself towards the life giving waters that were so close. Gritting my teeth and setting my jaw, one forearms slid over the other as I slowly dragged myself forward, praying to whatever Gods were left that I would make it in time.

Within what seemed like hours, I looked up towards the Sunwell again only to watch as Arthas lowered the remains of Kel'Thuzad into it's sparkling waters. A new agonizing pain ripped through my being as the sacred waters were defiled, the darkness falling rapidly over my vision as the Quel'dorei lost the one thing we were trying so hard to protect.

Rage filled me, beyond my capacity for control - all I wanted in that moment was to run my blades across Arthas' throat, to plunge them hilt-deep into Kel'Thuzad's heart, to avenge the atrocities that were performed against the Quel'dorei.

Without a second thought, my fingers feebly clawed at an iron encased vial, ripping it free of my belt and the stopper in the same motion; though I raged at the injustice of the Scourge and it's defilement of the Sunwell, I myself had sinned, experimenting with the power of it's waters in my exploration of alchemy and poison making. The vial contained an elixir I had been working on, made from life giving herbs and the waters of the Sunwell, an attempt to recreate immortality beyond the longevity granted to us - true immortal life without death.

It would either save me, or kill me as I had not yet had a chance to test this version of the elixir. I did not realise that it would in fact truly damn me.

As the cool waters washed down my throat, I rolled sideways onto my back to stare up at the sun for what might be the last time. Despite having drank the elixir, the darkness was still swiftly encroaching on my vision and I could feel the last of my blood spilling onto the ground below me.

The elixir had failed me.

No comments:

Post a Comment